FREE Cambridge College Resources (ESL is listed in pink letters)
MTEL Overview Presentation (offered Fall & Spring)
Learn what the MTELs are, how to register, study resources, and more.
Self-Paced Learning: The CELT (CELT@cambridgecollege.edu) offers FREE reading and writing software to improve students’ reading and writing skills. When used consistently, this software helps increase students’ MTEL scores.
Tutoring: The CELT offers free one-on-one tutoring up to twice a week. To schedule a tutoring lesson, log into Starfish from MyCC Home Page and select “Services”- “Boston Academic Success Center”. For ESL support, select tutor Kathleen Hartnett. For Communication & Literacy and Foundations of Reading, select Christine Zuppa.
Cambridge College Online Library has MTEL test prep books in almost every subject area. These books include study information and practice tests, and are free for students. Log into MyCC (library>Cambridge College Online Library) and search for MTEL. For General Curriculum tests, check out the book “What Every Middle School Teacher Should Know.”
- Some Public School Districts offer free workshops and tutoring to employees. Contact your union representative for information.
- Emmanuel College offers free workshops to Cambridge College students. Workshops will be posted in the Announcements section when available.
- The MTEL website has free MTEL resources including test guides, practice tests, and prep videos: https://www.mtel.nesinc.com (click Prepare)
Paid MTEL resources
- Cambridge College offers in-depth workshops/non-credit classes in Communication & Literacy, General Curriculum, & Foundations of Reading for $75. These workshops are available in person or by zoom. Students who attend by zoom must log in at the specified time to participate in discussion and assignments. See above for dates and to sign up. If you are looking for our ESL workshop and do not see it listed, please submit a request by filling out the sign-up sheet.
- GOHAcademy offers MTEL workshops and practice tests for several MTELs, including ESL. Classes cost approximately $250-$600. Register at www.gohacademy.com
- ETI offers MTEL classes for about $300 (including ESL), but they guarantee to support you until you pass. You can register at www.massteachertest.com
- The Dept. of Ed (http://www.doe.mass.edu) provides a list of MTEL courses offered by local colleges and universities. Type "Test Preparation Courses" in the search box of the DOE website to view the list. Cambridge College does not endorse courses on this list.
- North Essex Community College offers online MTEL courses for $100 (including ESL). Click here for more information.
- Mass College of Liberal Arts offers 2-day workshops (6hrs total) in Comm. & Lit, Math, & Foundations of Reading classes for $50. Click here
- Self-paced learning: https://study.com offers membership to access videos, flash cards, practice tests, and test guides for several MTELs. Try the service free for 30 days
- Corey Morrissey offers tutoring in Foundations & Communication & Literacy for $60/hour. Email Cordaemarie2366@gmail.com
- GoHacademy- call (617) 588-3505
- ETI ($125-150/hour). click here